Thursday, January 31, 2013

Spicy Tofu and Avocado Maki Rolls


 






Ingredients
(Quantities are up to you but I have listed what I used)


Sticky rice (I use Annie Chun's Rice Express - 1/2 container or about 1/2-3/4 cups rice per roll)
Rice vinegar (about 1/2 tsp per 1/2 cup rice)
Soy paper or nori (I used these soy wraps that I got at Whole Foods)
Precooked teriyaki style tofu, cut into thin strips (I used the kind by Wildwood and 1/4 of 1 block for each roll)
Sriracha sauce (as much as you can handle)
Sliced avocado (roughly 1/4 of an avocado per roll)
Cilantro leaves
Toasted sesame seeds

Method

These are basically the instructions that I follow if you want to be all professional about it.  But Simply put here's what I did:
Get a bowl of water for dipping your hands so the rice doesn't stick to them. Get your bamboo mat out and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.  Then lay your soy paper sheet or nori on it.  (The soy paper is large so next time I'll probably cut it in half.)

Add rice vinegar to rice and mix.

Dip hand in water, then take a handful of rice, roll into a ball and then press out all over your soy paper or nori.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Toss tofu sticks with a bit of sriracha sauce.  Lay across the center with avocado slices, then sprinkle with cilantro leaves. See pic below.

For rolling I literally just followed how it was done in the video.  I find that watching someone else do it a lot easier than reading step by step instructions. 







No comments: