Friday, February 8, 2013

Peanut Butter & Jelly Banana Muffins



 
My PB&J Banana Pancakes were so delicious I just had to turn them into a muffin.  I worked from my Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin recipe with a few minor adjustments based on what I had on hand.  I didn't have any Earth Balance vegan butter so I figured I would make these without any added fat.  I had a Silk strawberry soy yogurt so I threw in that in lieu of the Earth Balance (applesauce is also a good sub for butter or oil in baking).  Since I was going healthy with these I used whole wheat and oat flour.  I'd say they turned out pretty great for a healthy little treat.  I'm also going to try baking this in a loaf pan and adding extra layers of jelly so stay tuned for that!
 
 

 
Ingredients
1/3 cup Unsweetened Almond or Soy Milk
1 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice or Apple Cider Vinegar
1 1/2 cups Flour (I use 1 cup Whole Wheat + 1/2 cup Oat Flour)
1/2 cup Quick Oats
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/3 cup Earth Balance Vegan Butter, softened (optional: sub applesauce or soy yogurt)
1/4 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar (packed)
3 very ripe Bananas (medium-large size), mashed
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
 
Jelly or fruit preserves (raspberry or strawberry are my faves)
 
Peanut Butter Glaze
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
3 Tbsp almond milk
3 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
 
Method
 
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a muffin pan, set aside.

Mix lemon juice and soy milk in small bowl and set aside (this will curdle slightly).

Whisk dry ingredients in a bowl (flours, oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon), set aside.

In another bowl add butter, sugars, mashed banana and mix with an electric mixer on low speed (or whisk by hand) for about a minute or two. Next whisk in the almond milk/lemon, and vanilla. Whisk together until mixed.

Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir until just combined (you don't want to over mix). Add heaping tablespoon full of mixture to muffin tins, should be about half full.  Next in each muffin tin add about a teaspoon of jelly to middle.  If you want more peanut butter flavor then add a bit on top of jelly (see pic below).  Then take remaining batter and dollop on top gently smoothing out.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.
 
While baking make your peanut butter glaze by whisking the ingredients together in a bowl.  You can adjust ingredients to taste. 
 
When muffins are done, let cool and then spread glaze on them.  Can be topped with chopped peanuts for crunch or a sprinkle of powdered sugar to make them pretty!
 
 
 
 


No comments: