Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Rice - Frozen in Individual Servings


I've thought about buying those individual cups of Minute rice but they cost a pretty penny compared to the bags of rice.  To get more bang for my buck, I buy a box of Trader Joe's frozen brown rice.  It comes with 3 microwaveable bags and each bag makes about 3 cups.  The only problem is that I end up cooking way more than I need for one meal.  So my solution is freezing the leftovers in 1/2 cup portions.   I pack the rice into the measuring cup (works best if the rice is still a little warm), then turn upside down on a cookie sheet, tap it and it slides out.  Stick them in the freezer for a couple hours and once frozen you can transfer to a Ziploc bag.  Now you've got individual servings ready to go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love this idea! :)