Sunday, January 26, 2014

Middle Eastern Red Lentil Soup


This is seriously one of the best things I've ever made.  It's one of those "wow this is so good I can't believe I made this" moments.  It's crazy flavorful and it's easy to make.  Proof that amazingly delicious good food doesn't have to be complicated with fancy schmancy ingredients and techniques.  One of my secrets to this is a good vegetable broth.  Some have zero flavor.  I happen to love Edward and Son's Not-Chick'n bullion cubes that I get at Whole Foods.  I use one cube dissolved in three cups of water for this recipe (package says one cube in two cups water but I reduce the sodium).


Serves 3-4

Ingredients

2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
5-6 baby carrots diced (that's what I always have on hand or use 1 carrot)
3 garlic cloves, minced or finely chopped
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
1 Tbsp tomato paste 
3/4 cups red lentils
3 cups vegetable broth (see note)
Juice of half a lemon (about 1 Tbsp)
Salt and black pepper to taste
Crushed red pepper for heat (optional)

Method

Add olive oil to saucepan and heat over medium-low.  Add onion and carrots with a dash of salt and cook 3-4 minutes.  Add garlic, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika and cook 2 minutes.  

Stir in the tomato paste and the lentils, then add the broth and lemon juice.  Bring to a boil then reduce to low and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes.  

Season with salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper to taste.

Puree in a blender or with an immersion blender.

Note: recommend using a quality, flavorful broth such as Edward and Son's Not-Chick'n bullion cubes. Dissolve one cube in three cups hot water for this recipe.


No comments: