Monday, July 15, 2013

Falafel Spiced Roasted Chickpea Tacos




I really love falafel.  So much in fact that at one point I created a baked falafel recipe in my early days of blogging.  I've been meaning to revisit this recipe to see how I could revamp it, but to have to bust out the food processor, form little patties, and all that, just hasn't been something I've had time for.  So I had this brilliant idea to take all those spices and flavors and just coat the chickpeas in them, then roast them.  I do love roasted chickpeas. I substitute onion for onion powder, fresh garlic with garlic powder that way I wouldn't have to worry about it burning in the oven and the flavors would be all combined.   It worked like a charm!  I got my falafely goodness without the work. Yep, I'll pat myself on the back for this one.  It's pretty freakin' good.

Printer Friendly

Makes 4 tacos

Ingredients

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Toppings:
Diced tomato
Diced onion
Diced dill pickle (yes this goes very well with falafel)
Lettuce
Tahini dressing (I love the one from Trader Joes that you can find by the hummus or try my recipe)

Taco size tortillas

Method

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.

Chickpeas to a bowl and add olive oil and lemon juice.  Give it a toss to coat.

In a small bowl, mix all the spices together.  This is important so that you have an even flavor throughout.  Add the spices to the chickpeas along with the fresh herbs and lastly the salt and pepper.  Toss to thoroughly coat.

Spread chickpeas on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake 30-40 minutes (depending how crispy you want them).



No comments: