Monday, May 6, 2013

Summer Strawberry & Avocado Salad with Basil Dressing


I must confess I often roll my eyes when I see salad with fruit in it on a menu.  It's definitely not one of my favorite food combinations.  However, I love pairing avocado with fruit so I thought I'd give strawberries a shot.  Normally I try everything in sandwich form but I this time I thought I'd get some mache lettuce (pronounced "mosh"), throw in some toasted nuts, and top with some leftover basil cashew cream sauce that I use on pasta.  Turns out it doubles as a salad dressing and basil goes so well with strawberries.  If just making it as a dressing, I simplify it a bit, cutting out the onion and sauteeing. 

Printer Friendly

Ingredients

Lemon basil cashew cream dressing (makes about 1 cup)
2 garlic cloves
1/3 cup cashews soaked overnight
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 - 1/3 cup vegetable broth, water from cashews or plain water
1 handful of basil leaves (or more to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste

Mache lettuce (or spring greens)
Sliced strawberries
Sliced avocado
Slivered almonds, toasted (also good with toasted pine nuts or pepitas which are roasted pumpkin seeds)

Method

Add dressing ingredients to a blender and puree.  Simply plate your salad ingredients and pour dressing over it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did you know the name of an avocado or avocado was first said by the population of the Aztec tribe WHO live in areas of Central America and Mexico. This plant has been Introduced to the residents of central Europe of the 16th century by Martin Fernandez de Enciso, a leader of the Spanish forces during the colonial Central America. From that Indonesia knows avocado since the Dutch colonial period, many shipments of fruit for the purpose of chitterlings.

If you do not believe, read the proof here:
Manfaat Buah Alpukat Untuk Kecantikan